Sunday, February 21, 2016

TOGAF or NOT TOGAF

Is this really the question? Or is this even foolish to ask? [Alternatively insert your comparative frameworks of choice here]. I think to a certain point these are valid questions. However, indeed, it appears that the debate on the level of completeness for frameworks continue to reach seemingly Shakespearean heights of intrigue and borderline melodrama.

Admittedly, a framework can leave a lot up to the organization to fill in the blanks. But this should be no surprise -- a framework by definition is skeletal, and perhaps one can use the word "deliberately vague" as a remote synonym. Sampling some frameworks, I see that others are more generous with substance, but these come mostly as examples i.e. so-called Reference Models, and can still leave you with the option to explore your own specific elaboration.

If you google on "EA frameworks", discussions will be replete with comments that a framework is not a cookbook. It is not a methodology in itself. Although a framework can suggest its own methodologies for specific areas of the framework, e.g. TOGAF's ADM.

As an additional example, a framework can introduce the concept of views and viewpoints, and will perhaps illustrate the concept with the primary viewpoints, but will leave the option and flexibility for the organization to explore what other viewpoints make sense for their particular business context.  Thus, I continue to see consistent illustrations that reinforce the notion that these frameworks are meant to be explored, and allows the happy free experimentation to see how one framework can actually be combined with others.

Take a look at what Raytheon tried with TOGAF, DoDAF, and Zachman.



Allen Brown, President and CEO at The Open Group, says this: “If people are struggling with TOGAF, either they’re not adapting it for their organization, or they’re not getting people who’ve ‘been there, done that, got the T-shirt, have the scratch marks’ to help with the initiative.” 

Vish Viswanathan, Managing Principal of an Australian EA consulting firm agrees: "TOGAF consists of best practices, processes, principles, rules, guidelines, techniques – basically, a toolkit” A toolkit by definition is a kit of tools -- tools you use to build your house - definitely not the house itself, and not even the finished modular components of the house. Apropos, Viswanathan warns us that “A fool with a tool is still a fool." i.e. we need to have a healthy expectation of what the tools are for, so we can use them properly.

See the full discussion about fools with tools here:

Being a firm believer in the power of visuals to bring out insights, I hope the following attempt helps. I know I myself will want to see these notes again, when I relapse into my own confusion.


Check out this house, and the next.





And then the next below.



If you noticed something similar, you're right - the three were all built using the same basic framework. But each one was customized to reflect the preferences for taste, function, and other purposes known only to the homeowners.  The same goes for the internals of these houses - same frameworks, but the execution of details can vary depending on many factors.

Now please take a look at the fourth house below.

Clearly the framework for this bigger house is different. The point being -- the choice of framework matters because some frameworks might be too big for the occupants, or possibly too small.

Going over to another favorite analogy, please take a look at the next two vehicle frames. 



Do you notice the differences?
















Both fundamentally have the same essential elements and shape for their framework. However, the construction and composition of the two frameworks are different, because one is built for rough and tumble, the other for smooth roads and speed. The first is for the Humvee, and the second for the Corvette.

Again, the point being, purpose and application are important criteria for selecting the more appropriate framework.

Now take a look below at the advantage of a framework which is deliberately "vague" and more bare-bones to the essentials. This kind of framework gives you the openness and flexibility to express the full potential of your vision. 


Lastly, I would like to leave with the picture below of what should be the whole EA landscape. 



Again the picture above includes the essential elements of enterprise architecture, to which  I pose the question:  

Would there be an organization -- so experienced in systems development, and deep in their artifacts inventory, that they can run off with this fundamental EA schema, and devise their own framework?

What do you think?

I quite understand that active discussions can be a sign of attempts to resolve confusion. However, I would think that this should only be to a certain point, and we need to check if we just need to go back to fundamentals to get back our bearings. As I mentioned elsewhere, I can see why Allega said "framework debates are irrelevant" Hopefully the sigh was not too long.

Cheers always, and let's try to keep it light. 

Addendum:
Some good references which maintain consistent terminologies regarding frameworks.

Cameron, BH., McMillan, E. (2013). Analyzing the Current Trends in Enterprise Architecture Frameworks. Journal Paper. Journal of Enterprise Architecture.  http://ea.ist.psu.edu/documents/journal_feb2013_cameron_2.pdf

Urbaczewski, et al. (2006). A Comparison of Enterprise Architecture Frameworks. Journal Paper. Eastern Michigan University. Issues in Information Systems. Vol7,No.2.  http://ggatz.com/images/SOA_COMPARE.pdf

Open Group. (2001). Other Architectures and Architectural Frameworks. Web Article. The Open Group.  http://www.opengroup.org/public/arch/p4/others/others.htm

Walker, M. (2013 Feb 10). TOGAF Demystification Series: Comparing TOGAF To Other Frameworks. Web Article. http://www.mikethearchitect.com/2013/02/togaf-demystification-series-comparing-togaf-to-other-frameworks.html

/

1 comment:

  1. A very interesting post on EA Frameworks. I like the way in which you have selected the examples of the houses and the vehicles to better explain what a framework is. I completely agree that a framework can suggest methodologies but it is completely up to the EA to understand the org culture and customize the framework for optimal use in an organization. In a company like mine where people at any level do not have patience to read paragraphs, adhering to TOGAF would be a complete mistake. Hence what I have decided and am currently doing is picking artifacts and sections that mean the most from the TOGAF/Gartner deliverables and completely customize it to my company's environment so that it is widely accepted. Keeping it light and drawing the line for what is enough is a challenge. I think it is better to follow one or more frameworks and customize, only because any industry standard framework can be easily understood by another EA who comes in fresh into the organization.

    Thanks for the great post.

    Veena.

    ReplyDelete